This summer I would like to go on vacation in Ireland for two weeks with my girlfriend. I'm 21, she is 19 years old. We're Italian. I have a driver's license and carta d'identità.

Question: As an Italian citizen, what legal documents are we supposed to carry when we travel to Ireland? Also what electrical adapter (for mobile and laptop) should I carry with me?

  • 1
    We don't prepare itineraries here. But the question about documents may be on topic if it hasn't been answered before. Nov 9, 2016 at 8:33
  • 1
    recommendations, prices, where to go all are considered off topic
    – Ali Awan
    Nov 9, 2016 at 8:34
  • 3
    @MarcoBagiacchi: it is a question (the original one) better fit on the Thorn Tree Forum. StackExchange network's policies are usually against opinions, discussions and so on, as it does not want to be a replacement for forums. On the other hand, Thorn Tree Forum's target is exactly that, asking for opinion and discussing them.
    – motoDrizzt
    Nov 9, 2016 at 9:16
  • 5
    Short answer: For travel within the EU, you need some legal ID, either your Italian citizen's ID card, or alternatively a passport. Driver's licenses are not a suitable form of ID, and only useful for driving cars. Regarding which plugs are used in Ireland: Wikipedia has the information.
    – DCTLib
    Nov 9, 2016 at 9:27
  • 4
    Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
    – user987234
    Nov 10, 2016 at 0:38

3 Answers 3


As an Italian citizen, what legal documents we are supposed to carry when we will be traveling to Ireland?

Passport or national ID card (carta d'identità), provided it does not say non valida per l'espatrio on the back. If the carta does say this then it is not valid as a travel document outside of Italy.

Also what electrical adapter (for mobile and laptop) I should carry with me?

Ireland uses British BS1363 sockets, so you'll need an adapter.

  • 4
    If you use the "carta d'identita" it should have "valida per l'espatrio" written on it.
    – algiogia
    Nov 9, 2016 at 15:08
  • 3
    I always used my ID without any indication of "valida per l'espatrio" written on it. The only thing that could be written is "non valida per l'espatrio"", for the opposite reason. Source (one of many): bit.ly/2eDI61b
    – Banex
    Nov 9, 2016 at 19:29
  • 6
    For the lazy, and for those who can't read Italian, here's a cleaned-up machine translation of the relevant bit from @Banex's link: Validity for foreign travel On an Identity Card that is valid for travel abroad no particular words appear; on the contrary, on ID cards that are not valid for travel abroad the words appear: "not valid for foreign travel." We point out that there are states that do not allow access to the country to travelers in possession of paper ID cards renewed with stamp,
    – phoog
    Nov 9, 2016 at 20:03
  • 1
    "so you'll need an adapter" - not necessarily: youtube.com/watch?v=_8rKlRP-Kn0
    – JonathanReez
    Feb 12, 2017 at 8:41

You need either a carta d'identità or passport to enter Ireland - a driving licence is not a travel document and as such will not do.

Granted, in actuality anyone who can prove beyond reasonable doubt that they are an EEA national (a driving licence alone is not sufficient for this) should be let in by immigration authorities, but good luck getting on a plane with that argument - airlines may face a hefty penalty for transporting a passenger inadmissible to the destination country.


Irish sockets are the same as UK ones, the 13Amp (Type-G). 50Hz, at 230V https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets:_British_and_related_types#BS_1363_three-pin_.28rectangular.29_plugs_and_sockets

  • 1
    Oops, didn't notice his link.
    – CSM
    Nov 9, 2016 at 19:18
  • This is an answer to a question about legal documents??
    – user987234
    Nov 10, 2016 at 0:39
  • 4
    @user987234: The question does include the sentence "Also what electrical adapter (for mobile and laptop) should I carry with me?" This is a valid answer to that part. That's what happens when questions include too many different sub-questions. Nov 10, 2016 at 12:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.