I currently hold a UK short term tourist visa. Recently we have decided to marry with my partner (who lives in UK), who I've been together with for 5 years. For us to register the marriage in UK I need a Marriage Visitor visa, also known as fiancé visa. My tourist visa expires in March, but we'd like to get married earlier, in January.

Is it possible to switch from tourist visa to the fiancé one before the tourist one expires?

  • Note: a "marriage visitor visa" is for people who intend to marry in the UK but leave again afterwards. If you intend to marry a brit and then live in the UK you are looking for a "family visa". Afaict there is no visa officially called a "fiance visa". – Peter Green Apr 3 '18 at 17:39

Coming back with the answer. Got my visa, everything is fine. Totally ok to go from the general tourist visa to the fiancée visa before the tourist one expires.

protected by Community Sep 6 '17 at 8:41

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.