I'm Russian, have a permanent residency in Sweden. My wife is Swedish. We're going together to the UK. Wonder if can I get a free of charge UK visa?

When we visited Norway from UK, they issued for me a free visa to Norway, as I'm married to EEA nation.

Can I get something like EEA family permit to UK for free?

I've read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Economic_Area_Family_Permit https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/overview

and applied in two places.



In both places I have to pay 100 EUR + 63 EUR for going to the visa center. (payment online, before my appointment is even booked...)

Are there any options to get it free?

  • 1
    You are supposed to get it for free; perhaps you selected the wrong visa type. My mother in law got an EEA family permit in Sarajevo; she did not have to pay for her biometric appointment, nor (of course) for the permit itself.
    – phoog
    Commented Oct 29, 2016 at 19:55
  • 4
    It's free. The site is currently buggy wrt family permits, write to the Public Enquiry Office at Lunar House and get a paper application. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_House
    – Gayot Fow
    Commented Oct 29, 2016 at 20:25
  • Thx @phoog it took me a while, but I finally found where they hide it :) Commented Oct 30, 2016 at 6:27

1 Answer 1


Not obvious, but right way:

  1. Go here: https://www.gov.uk/family-permit (Fees: An EEA family permit is free.)

  2. Then click "apply". redirects here https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/apply (You must apply online for an EEA family permit)

  3. Click "apply online" redirects here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa

  4. Here you have two options

  5. Register on Visa4UK

  6. Login and click "Apply for myself", fill the form.

There you will see a form element:

Reason for Visit: visit, study, work, settlement, transit, other, exempt

You have to choose other!

Visa Type: choose EEA/Swedish family member

Visa Sub Type: choose Family member of an EEA Nation

List of supporting documents for your application: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/261446/eea-family-permit.pdf

  • 2
    Thanks! I knew it was something like that but did not remember exactly because it was over a year and a half ago. Someone has recently had the same problem on Expatriates; now all I have to do is find that question again so I can link to this answer.
    – phoog
    Commented Oct 30, 2016 at 6:39
  • 1
    The question is at expatriates.stackexchange.com/q/9516/2440.
    – phoog
    Commented Oct 30, 2016 at 6:44

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .