So I applied for a medical extension on a Irish 90 day visa. I enclosed medical note and cancer unit recommendation for followup now due to new symptoms.

I sent a registered priority mail a week ago for consideration. I sent follow up emails in past 3 days.

I got a reply from email today saying we confirm receipt of your email and will be in touch.

So - given my visa expires tomorrow, am i allowed to stay that day and see what they reply with? Can I wait say, 1-2 days over my 90 days for their final response?

I also contacted local police here and gave them the receipt of my registered post application. They gave me a number of a immigration lady working a city away but she's now on leave. I got her by phone - she told me to follow up by email and that normally they reply pretty fast. So...what do i do?

  • It seems that you have little choice other than to wait, as advised by the "immigration lady" (who was she, a lawyer or an immigration official of some sort?). – phoog Oct 25 '16 at 21:30

The Republic has a carve-out where visitors can apply for a medical extension for problems that arose unexpectedly during their visit.

If they approve your extension, you will get a new expiration date and you will be OK visa-wise. If they refuse, they will treat it as a non-suspensive application and begin the removal process.

Given that you have already applied and you will be out-of-time tomorrow, it all basically amounts to your having placed a bet on getting your extension approved.

Can I wait say, 1-2 days over my 90 days for their final response?

Yes, per 'phoog's' comment (to whom thanks): It seems that you have little choice other than to wait, as advised by the "immigration lady" but you will become an overstayer if your application is refused. Even if you are out-of-time for 1 day.

| improve this answer | |
  • Ah,You just stated the obvious. My question is can i wait? If I do not hear by tomorrow, can I wait another day (or further)...that's the question – user52552 Oct 25 '16 at 22:19
  • But - that doesn't make sense. How can you predict their answer, when you're awaiting it - and followed the instructions about applying in the last 2 weeks of your visa permission? Surely thats not your fault when you follow the rules to a T and then even with further precaution: i even did registered delivery (signature required) for postal delivery. I've been to a local police station and declared myself and case. I've called another to obtain advice (send email) and now i called another station who advised to call an immigration lady in the morning. so - how am i doing the wrong thing ? – user52552 Oct 25 '16 at 23:35
  • @AussieTravellerTales wait for more people to answer, your question has been active since 9 PM and day side for GMT +/-1 is still 7 hours away – Gayot Fow Oct 26 '16 at 0:17
  • standing by Gay! – user52552 Oct 26 '16 at 2:25
  • 1
    here is what happened: i attended an immigration office today for a final answer given the expiry today. I was told the application was refused. So i asked what does thta mean, do i have to fly tonight? To which the immigration officer said, when you get your letter in the mail, then you go. So a few days basicaly. For future reference for anyone in this situation – user52552 Oct 26 '16 at 21:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy