I had refugee protection in Norway under the Geneva convention with a Refugee Travel Document, except Schengen countries. Which other countries can I travel to with this document?

  • 3
    @Ishahak What protection are you referring to? And is the "Geneva Convention Book" a Refugee Travel Document (as per the 1951 Geneva Convention)? Commented Oct 20, 2016 at 2:03
  • 1
    Do you have any document which will state that you are a permanent resident of Norway? Commented Oct 20, 2016 at 7:45

1 Answer 1


With a 1951 Convention refugee travel document issued by Norway, you can:

  • Use the travel document to travel to other countries in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 180 day period without a visa.
  • Use the travel document instead of a passport to apply for visas, and travel to, any countries outside the Schengen area except for one.

You cannot:

  • Return to the country from which you fled. Your refugee status may be revoked if you travel to this country.

In summary: You may travel to any country in the world except the country you came from, but most countries will require a visa.

  • 10
    Please source this. I tried to find sources and couldn't.
    – user4188
    Commented Oct 20, 2016 at 3:03
  • 1
    @EdmundDantes: Norway and Poland are both parties to the European Agreement on the Abolition of Visas for Refugees, which on a reciprocal basis gives visa-freedom for short visits. The Polish page apparently singles out Ireland and Romania, because they are the only parties to this agreement that are not also in the Schengen area. Commented Oct 20, 2016 at 14:20
  • I don't think you can go to all Schengen countries without a visa. Not all Schengen countries are signatories of the European Agreement on the Abolition of Visas for Refugees, for example France is not.
    – krubo
    Commented Aug 2, 2018 at 21:26

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .