Do I need a visa or stamp to enter UK from the Republic of Ireland? I have a 90-day tourist visa stamped in my passport on arrival.

If I get the bus from Dublin to Belfast, and then a flight from Belfast to London, do I need anything in advance?

I read that Australians don't need anything ahead of time for a standard 90-day tourist entry. Is that right?

I also head that there is a 6-month visa for Australians. Does that exist? How do you get it?

  • Yeah, you've gotten things wrong.Start here: gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-visas-and-immigration But note that as mentioned in your other question, it's very easy for a traveller to get themselves in trouble moving between the UK and the RoI. Also, the RoI does not give out Visas on Arrival, so that probably isn;t a visa in your passport.
    – CMaster
    Oct 17, 2016 at 15:01
  • Given the circumstances noted in your other question, the usual answer to this question (i.e. you wouldn't normally need a visa) is unlikely to be helpful to you. Oct 17, 2016 at 15:03
  • 1
    You have an entry stamp that grants you 90 days' stay in the Republic of Ireland, but it's not a visa.
    – phoog
    Oct 17, 2016 at 15:21
  • @phoog nice one.
    – Gayot Fow
    Oct 17, 2016 at 21:19
  • whats with the cattiness on this site? If you introduce a new acronym you get made to feel like u invented it. If you try to figure out a travel situation you get ganged up. Really guys? Seriously? Seems like a little clique.
    – user52552
    Oct 17, 2016 at 23:38

1 Answer 1


The UK and ROI form the "common travel area".

If you enter the UK from outside the common travel area and the landing interview deems you are a legitimate visitor you normally get 6 months "leave to enter". No visa is required.

If you enter via the ROI things get more complicated. Your status depends on your previous UK immigration history and how you entered Ireland. The answer to your other question has a flowchart which helps you figure out what your status will be.

Also based on your other question be aware that coming back as a visitor soon after you left on a youth mobility visa will make the boarder guard more suspicious. You may have an uphill struggle trying to convince the border gaurd that you are a genunine visitor who intends to leave on time and does not intend to work.

  • Thanks Peter! This is what I don't get and find unnecessarily frustrating for international travellers. Why not make it clean cut to stop the bullsh*t? As in why cant they say okay! After a YM Visa you must remain outside uk for minimum of 6 months. That's clear - plain - no hassle. Why no guideline or policy with tangible dates? Anyway I have no intention to stay illegally and work. I have my UK business already set up I can work from anywhere in the world. Just want to get specific UK tax lodging advice plus professional prep. And see my bf. What time passing is reasonable? 3 months? 6?12?
    – user52552
    Oct 17, 2016 at 23:33