The US State Department website has the following listed as an entry requirement for Ukraine:

You must provide proof of ... sufficient funds for the duration of your stay.

If I were asked at Ukraine Immigration for proof of funds, would it suffice to show a credit card?

(This is specifically about showing proof of funds when requested by an immigration officer, not for a visa.)

  • I've only ever shown bank statements before, but since my statements are over six months old now, I'd like to know if a credit card is a valid alternative since the statements aren't really "recent" anymore. Oct 14 '16 at 10:05
  • The bank statements are used to verify if you have strong ties to your home country, not just to verify if you have sufficient funds. If you get 2000EUR per month in the account from the same payer then you probably have a stable job of some sort. If you got 10000EUR a week before submitting the statement and had 0 up until then, then this indicates fund parking and raises red flags all over the place. Check this: travel.stackexchange.com/questions/66104/…
    – JoErNanO
    Oct 14 '16 at 10:08
  • 1
    I believe this varies drastically with the country. In the case of arriving at the USA: (i) it is rarely even checked (ii) in a sense, sure cards are fine but (iii) it is utterly at the discretion of the officer {ideas like 'available funds' are more an excuse or rationale the officer can choose, in a totally arbitrary judgement call}. For say Ukraine, I'm sure the paradigm is totally different.
    – Fattie
    Oct 14 '16 at 10:09
  • ... I have no job so that's not going to help much. :) Oct 14 '16 at 10:09
  • If you specifically want to know about Ukraine, and that's fair enough, you should I'd say put that right in the title. This issue is very specific to the from-to travel pair you know?
    – Fattie
    Oct 14 '16 at 10:10

From the GOV.UK Website:

The Ukrainian authorities accept the following as a proof of sufficient funds: cash, bank cards along with bank statements, accommodation bookings, tourist vouchers, a letter from the person or company you’re visiting stating that they will cover your expenses, a return ticket or onward travel ticket.

The Ukrainian border agency website does not specify acceptable proof of funds; however, based on the GOV.UK info, a return or onward ticket should be accepted for this purpose.

Besides, no matter what some websites say, it is rare for them to ask a single question (in fact, most of them speak very little to no English). They just scan your passport, check the databases, possibly ask where you're going, and then stamp the passport (or migration Card if you choose to fill one out)

  • Fascinating, so it's "much like the USA, say" .... pretty minimal/cursory checking as a rule?
    – Fattie
    Oct 14 '16 at 13:02
  • @JoeBlow Like the US for US citizens/perm. residents perhaps. As a VWP national I've always been questioned quite extensively (including when using APC), but never asked to show onward tickets, my rental contract, bank statements, Hotel Reservation etc. And thank Lord for that, because I just cannot bother to bring a pile of documents on my trips - I'd rather be sent to secondary and show them things online if it should boil down to that in the future
    – Crazydre
    Oct 14 '16 at 13:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.