I am a Chinese citizen (US permanent resident) planning on going to Hong Kong for 7 days, flying to and from Chicago, and originally had found this stipulation:

Chinese passport holders who are in transit through Hong Kong from another country, region or territory may be granted a stay of 7 days without the prior need to obtain an entry permit, with the condition of possession of valid Chinese passport and confirmed onward air tickets for the overseas journey. If Chinese passport holders will go for mainland China or Macau via Hong Kong, onward air tickets are not compulsory.

Seeing this, I assumed I would need a visa because I am not going to a third country, and hence would not be considered transit. However, after sending in my visa application to a travel agency, they sent it back saying it was returned by the Chinese consulate who claimed I do not need it if staying for 7 days or less. I am a little skeptical because of previous questions here that indicated I would need it for entry, and that I don't have anything in writing for the actual consulate.

Does anyone here have this experience and can confirm or deny that I do NOT need a visa? And what documents do I need to bring? Just my flight back home to the US?

  • 2
    I just checked Timatic via KLMs tool and it pretty much says the same: "Visa required, except for Passengers with a passport issued by China (People's Rep.) in transit (including overland) to/from a third country for a maximum stay of 7 days." i.e. you could officially intend to go overland into China and immediately come back. But unless you actually do that "transit run" you are at least in somewhat of a gray area and I would try contacting the consulate again. +1, question shows reasearch! – mts Oct 13 '16 at 18:03
  • 3
    From immd.gov.hk/eng/services/visas/…: "2. PRC passport holders living overseas wishing to enter Hong Kong for visit, employment, training, study or residence should apply for an appropriate entry permit." (Paragraph 3 notes the 7-day exemption for travelers in transit.) "4. PRC passport holders should apply for an entry permit for social and business visits to Hong Kong." This confirms @mts's Timatic findings and the resulting advice to double-check with the consulate. When you do so, stress that you will not be in transit. – phoog Oct 13 '16 at 18:20
  • 1
    I suspect the travel agent is correct that you don't need a HK permit for a 7 day stay. Chinese nationals from the mainland are always allowed to stay in Hong Kong for a 7 day visit without a HK permit, but are only allowed to use a passport to enter Hong Kong for their 7 days if they are arriving from somewhere or have onward travel requiring the passport (hence "transit"). Otherwise they can still enter Hong Kong from the mainland for 7 days, but must use a different type of travel document issued by the mainland. In your case I think the passport is perfectly okay, but I can't prove this. – Dennis Oct 13 '16 at 20:20
  • The answer of Dennis is not correct. Chinese mainland citizens from mainland also need HK visa on the special travel document. You Do need a visa if you just arrive and return to US. Sure you can take a train trip to Shenzhen and then return to HK, and you will have 14 days in total. Maybe you'd better to take spend night in China and return to HK on the next day. – Shuangistan Oct 14 '16 at 11:18
  • 1
    You can always enter HK from third countries, but if you do not finish the transit (the exit control officer will check you destination), you have the chances to be fined and banned for further travel to HK by leaving a "D.T." stamp on you passport. – Shuangistan Oct 14 '16 at 11:21