I got a students visa, F1 for the USA, for an additional MBA. I went to the USA and since I was not really happy with what I went through, I decided to come back. The college had given fake commitments and I didn't want to do college-hopping. I came back within a span of 1 month, i.e. I went in Dec 2015 and came back in Jan. 2016. Since I am a working professional, I don't intend to pursue studies in the USA anymore. My F1 visa was granted in July 15, for a term of 5 years. Can I apply for a Visitors Visa now for the USA? Or will it get rejected since I didn't study there? What would be the process, if anyone could help?

  • 3
    Was it the "University of Northern New Jersey"? Commented Oct 12, 2016 at 22:26
  • Nope. MCNY. NYC.
    – Eevie
    Commented Oct 13, 2016 at 11:38

1 Answer 1


You certainly can apply for a B1/B2 visa, which shouldn't be affected by your decision to withdraw from the university. When you did that, it was reported to SEVIS, and you left the US, as you were required to do. Your F-1 visa is now invalid. That you decided not to pursue your education in the United States would have no bearing on visiting the country.

You proceed just as you did for the F-1, and start by consulting the instructions on the website of the US Embassy or Consulate where you will apply.

  • Gives me a great relief. I was told by people here that I can never visit the USA again.
    – Eevie
    Commented Oct 12, 2016 at 21:46
  • 5
    @Eevie let me get this straight, you got anxious because random strangers told you can't visit but got relieved because another random stranger told you can...? Understand please that we are just random people on the Internet and while we strive to help we are not the USCIS.
    – user4188
    Commented Oct 12, 2016 at 23:16
  • Dude, atleast I can try to get a B2.
    – Eevie
    Commented Oct 13, 2016 at 11:39

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .