I entered the USA on a B1/B2 (visitor) visa in 2014, but have changed status to an F1 (student) visa since then. I'm legally maintaining my student status by attending classes in language school (English). This is not a university program and I speak English well.

I want to stay in the US as I'm preparing for certain licensing tests in the medical field. What is the procedure to exit and re-enter? My F1 is not stamped on my passport. Will I have to go to my home country and apply for a new F1 visa to re-enter the US?

closed as off-topic by Michael Hampton, pnuts, JS Lavertu, Karlson, Crazydre Oct 4 '16 at 5:36

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    You will need an F-1 visa. Whether you need to get it in your home country or not, I don't know. Maybe you can get it in whichever other place you want to travel to. – phoog Oct 4 '16 at 3:25
  • Have you discussed your travel plans with your DSO (designated school official)? – Patricia Shanahan Oct 4 '16 at 3:38

If you only travel to Canada or Mexico or Caribbean islands for less than 30 days, you can re-enter as F-1 status using Automatic Revalidation and won't need an F-1 visa.

For any further travel, if you want to re-enter as F-1 status, you will need an F-1 visa. Since you don't already have an F-1 visa, you will need to apply for the visa at some US consulate. This consulate doesn't necessarily need to be in your home country -- you can try to apply for a visa at any US consulate, but the chances of success will likely be best in your home country.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.