I want to visit a friend in Canada over Christmas. I am a British Citizen and I have a UK passport and am aware I need an Electronic Travel Authorization. Are there any other requirements I need to visit?

Also, are there any days that are best to book flights?

  • 1
    You don't really need much more than your passport, eTA, and your tickets. The border service will likely ask you why you're coming and you'll need a plausible response, which you apparently have. You'll often find better fares on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, as there are fewer travelers on those days, but around the holidays there might be less of a difference.
    – phoog
    Sep 29, 2016 at 16:57
  • 1
    Also if you're going to be staying at a hotel rather than with your friend you'll want to bokk accommodation now as well. Dont be surprised to see higher than normal fares and rates since it will be the holiday season and one of the peak travel times of the year. Sep 29, 2016 at 17:09
  • 1
    A warm jacket might be a good idea. Sep 29, 2016 at 17:36

1 Answer 1



It's going to be expensive. Christmas is a busy period so you want to start looking now, the 26th is a holiday here too so that also drives prices up. You may want to come a few days to a week before Christmas and leave after New Year's to save on your fare.


As a British citizen all you need to request entry is your passport and your eTA.


December in Canada can be cold to brutal depending where you're going and what you're used to. We heat a lot indoors (unlike in parts of northern Europe for example) so bring layers and good insulation for outside.

Just like for flights, accommodation will be more expensive around this time as well (if you're not staying with your friend). So book it as soon as you can.

In case you want to drive or rent a car, you can do so with your regular full UK license (no need for an international driving permit). Just be sure you're comfortable driving in icy or snowy conditions.

  • "Unlike in Europe": I'm not sure what parts of Europe you've been to in the winter, but I can assure you that there are certainly parts of Europe with ample and even excessive indoor heating.
    – phoog
    Sep 29, 2016 at 18:18
  • @phoog corrected, I was thinking of Stockholm, Berlin and Paris. Our heating is still excessive compared to those places
    – blackbird
    Sep 29, 2016 at 18:22
  • Thanks. This is very helpful. If the friend I am visiting is actually more than just a friend, will that make a difference? I'd be staying with them so I don't need to worry about accommodation.
    – driima
    Sep 29, 2016 at 23:49
  • @BeautifulChaos immigration might be concerned you might not leave. If you mention that you're visiting someone more than just a friend you need to be prepared to prove you intend to leave, that means showing strong ties to home country (job, property, medical appointments, family etc)
    – blackbird
    Sep 29, 2016 at 23:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.