We're planning a trip from Myanmar to Chiang Mai in Thailand. The current idea is to fly from Heho to Tachilek, then cross the border to Mae Sai and take a bus (preferably on the same day) from there.
- Does anyone have recent experience with this border crossing?
- Is it possible to cross here and continue our journey to Laos (i.e. can we exit Thailand at a different border crossing)?
- What are the visa regulations? I'm on an Austrian passport and according to my country's official information I don't need a visa for Thailand for stays up to 15 days (30 days, if entering by air), which would be enough for the trip, we've planned.
- How much time should we plan for the border crossing? Is it reasonable to do the whole trip from Heho in a single day?
- Is this border crossing open all year around?
- Are there any security concerns in the area?
- Are there alternative options to get from Lake Inle to Chiang Mai?
The best information, we found so far, is from this blog post about a Thai border run. It sounds like the crossing should be rather straightforward from Myanmar to Thailand - as opposed to the other direction.