In October I will be going from Europe (Germany) to Canada and then continuing to Buffalo before flying to Miami. I will leave my rental car at the Canadian side of Niagara Falls and cross the rainbow bridge in the evening by foot.

I will not have a visa because ESTA only applies for boat/airplane travels. Will they care if I just get there with my luggage and without a car and apply directly for a visa or is it a normal procedure? Can I prepare something (visa application etc.)?

  • What's your citizenship ? Are you sure you even need a visa ? – blackbird Sep 22 '16 at 14:27
  • German... I can apply for the ESTA program which is really easy but they say it`s only for arrival at a shipport / airport – Marc Wittmann Sep 22 '16 at 14:30
  • 2
    ESTA ≠ VWP, you don't need an ESTA. You can just show up at the border – blackbird Sep 22 '16 at 14:38
  • Thx a lot.. was confused by Waiver and ESTA. So I´ll just show up there fill out that I94W and hope for the best... thx for the link! – Marc Wittmann Sep 22 '16 at 15:01
  • Even if you had ESTA, you would not have a visa, because ESTA is not a visa. You will be using the visa waiver program, so you will not get a visa at the border, either. There week be some paperwork, though, and some stamps. I think the cost is $6. – phoog Sep 22 '16 at 15:03