I'm a Filipino living here in Italy. I want to go to Amsterdam but I didn't know if I need a new Visa. I want to know if my visa here in Italy is also valid for Amsterdam.

I'm a residence here in Italy for 4 years.I Want to go for a 5 day vacation in Amsterdam. I want to know if i need a Visa for Amsterdam

this is my permesso di soggiorno

  • 4
    Can you please give us a little more information on your visa in Italy? Welcome to TSE, we are happy to help but can not read minds. – Willeke Sep 21 '16 at 15:29
  • 3
    Usually the visa or permit that entitles you to stay in Italy will also allow you to travel to the Netherlands, but there are some rare exceptions. – phoog Sep 21 '16 at 15:32
  • 1
    I'm voting to close as unclear until the OP reveals more info about their current visa. – mts Sep 21 '16 at 18:42
  • 1
    @R.decastro We can only know 100% if you upload a scan of your visa. But in 99% of cases, you do not Need a new visa – Crazydre Sep 25 '16 at 21:23
  • 2
    Your residence permit allows you to visit any country in the Schengen area without need of an additional visa. You are not supposed to be in other Schengen countries for more than 90 days in any 180-day period. – phoog Sep 28 '16 at 21:20

Travel between Italy and the Netherlands (where Amsterdam is) is treated as a domestic trip - no border control, and usually both are covered by your visa/residence permit.

However, very few visas are LTV. If yours is it might not be valid for the Netherlands. Again, there are no border checks, so in practice, if you're not stopped inside the Netherlands, such a trip (while illegal) is possible.

Please upload a scan of your visa or residence permit (permesso di soggiorno) so we can say for sure. If you have a residence permit, you can go to the Netherlands 100%

UPDATE: you have a full residence permit, so you do not Need a visa for Amsterdam. When Boarding the flight, simply show your passport and residence permit if asked - though very often they only care about the Boarding pass

  • 4
    If you do upload that scan, please black out personal information as (most of) your name, the personal numbers and such. – Willeke Sep 21 '16 at 17:30
  • 3
    If the traveler has already spent more than 90 or more of the last 180 days in other Schengen countries, the trip would also be illegal, but again the chance of being caught is almost nonexistent. – phoog Sep 21 '16 at 17:39
  • 1
    (+1) Beside LTV visas, another type of document that often does not allow for a trip to other Schengen countries are receipts for a first application for a residence permit as a refugee. – Relaxed Sep 21 '16 at 21:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.