A Chinese passport holder with a US visa has a flight scheduled from Beijing to Los Angeles in mid-November.

This person wants to go to South Korea for a 3 day conference; the conference is one week prior to the PEK-LAX flight.

If this person buys a round-trip ticket from China to Korea, will the transit visa be sufficient? Or will they need a regular visa?

Extra info:

What if the original ticket were modified to make it ICN-PEK-LAX?

Some Transit Information Here. It says "Holding a confirmed onward flight ticket for departure within 30 days." Would a return ticket to China than a flight to LAX a week later be sufficiently "onward"?

This question is similar

  • @pnuts It is a single question about South Korean Transit Visas, asked a couple different ways.
    – axsvl77
    Sep 16, 2016 at 14:11
  • @pnuts Is this better? more understandable?
    – axsvl77
    Sep 16, 2016 at 14:19
  • @pnuts this tool is the best resource I've been able to find visa.go.kr/openPage.do?MENU_ID=10101
    – Giorgio
    Sep 16, 2016 at 15:20

1 Answer 1


The link from Korea Immigration covers your questions, not sure why you need to ask again.

China is not on the list for a visa free 30 day tourist and transit stay, so that eliminates your PEK-ICN-PEK option (unless you apply for a regular visa).

Having a US Visa allows you to do a up to 30 day stay for transit, which means you must have a through ticket PEK-ICN-LAX.

The term "transit" by common usage in airport/immigration parlance means traveling from A to C via B, not A to B to A again.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.