I am a child, and live with my grandmother and uncle since my mother migrated to Australia. Should I list them on a visa application form that asks for details of parents, along with my mother's and father's details?

  • I have edited your question for clarity. Feel free to undo them if I have changed the meaning. – Giorgio Sep 15 '16 at 23:00
  • 1
    I agree with @pnuts. As a partial explanation, besides whatever other record checking that they will do about your family, asking in particular about your parents' citizenship and birthplace will have implications for your own potential citizenship(s); this would not be true for a foster situation. The country you wish to visit, whatever it is, is certainly interested in citizenship issues. – Andrew Lazarus Sep 16 '16 at 1:40
  • 1
    I'm almost certain that the OP used the phrase 'I am grown' rather than child; wouldn't that make a difference? – Giorgio Sep 16 '16 at 14:00
  • 1
    @pnuts go figure and, given the others being asked, OP is dancing around the actual issue; thx. – Giorgio Sep 17 '16 at 23:01
  • 1
    @pnuts indeed and, depending on the age, better to suggest local help, hopefully non-profit, so that they get it right. – Giorgio Sep 17 '16 at 23:14

We don't know:

  • OP's citizenship
  • OP's residency
  • the type of visa to be applied for

We do know that the fostering is with my grandmother and uncle. So taking a wild guess, this may be kinship care that does not involve legal custody of the child. In which case the people the OP is living with are not the OP's parents so are not eligible for inclusion as such on the application form.

If however they do have legal custody then they should be included (and not the biological parents, unless they hold joint custody).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.