I am flying in 10 days to another state to apply for a travel visa. As a foreigner, my passport is the only ID I have at the moment. How will I be able to travel back to my current state?

Will a photocopy of my passport and American visa, perhaps a letter, driver's license, and/or a temporary state ID work? (I don't think I will be able to get my state ID in time!)

  • You won't be able to fly: travel.stackexchange.com/questions/20934/…
    – Mark Mayo
    Sep 14 '16 at 2:57
  • 2
    I believe this is a duplicate, unfortunately for you you can't travel without the passport, being a foreign citizen. However, a British friend lost his in Texas, and still managed to talk his way onto the flight to New York, so it might be possible if you're really good at convincing (he is a salesman). I wouldn't risk it though.
    – Mark Mayo
    Sep 14 '16 at 2:59
  • I would see if you can get a non-driver's-license (NDL) state ID before you fly.
    – RoboKaren
    Sep 14 '16 at 3:34
  • 4
    @MarkMayo If the answers to the other question are correct, foreigners living in the US will be unable to get visas for other countries unless they live close enough to a consulate to get there without flying. I've voted to reopen the question.
    – phoog
    Sep 14 '16 at 4:22
  • 4
    Does the application process really require leaving the passport at the time of the interview? I have sent my passport by courier on several occasions to receive a visa (albeit without an actual interview required)
    – Peter M
    Sep 14 '16 at 11:34

Without your foreign Passport or an ID issued in the United States, there is no way to guarantee you will be able to pass through TSA.

You may be able to pass TSA without ID as described here: Forgot Your ID?

Unfortunately, there is no way to know if they can/will allow you to pass without actually trying.

  • 1
    It might help to have a receipt for the passport issued by the consulate processing the visa application.
    – phoog
    Sep 14 '16 at 16:37
  • 1
    @phoog I'd combine that with a photocopy of the info page of the passport. No guarantees, though. Nov 28 '16 at 4:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.