I am flying in 10 days to another state to apply for a travel visa. As a foreigner, my passport is the only ID I have at the moment. How will I be able to travel back to my current state?

Will a photocopy of my passport and American visa, perhaps a letter, driver's license, and/or a temporary state ID work? (I don't think I will be able to get my state ID in time!)

  • You won't be able to fly: travel.stackexchange.com/questions/20934/…
    – Mark Mayo
    Commented Sep 14, 2016 at 2:57
  • 2
    I believe this is a duplicate, unfortunately for you you can't travel without the passport, being a foreign citizen. However, a British friend lost his in Texas, and still managed to talk his way onto the flight to New York, so it might be possible if you're really good at convincing (he is a salesman). I wouldn't risk it though.
    – Mark Mayo
    Commented Sep 14, 2016 at 2:59
  • I would see if you can get a non-driver's-license (NDL) state ID before you fly.
    – RoboKaren
    Commented Sep 14, 2016 at 3:34
  • 4
    @MarkMayo If the answers to the other question are correct, foreigners living in the US will be unable to get visas for other countries unless they live close enough to a consulate to get there without flying. I've voted to reopen the question.
    – phoog
    Commented Sep 14, 2016 at 4:22
  • 4
    Does the application process really require leaving the passport at the time of the interview? I have sent my passport by courier on several occasions to receive a visa (albeit without an actual interview required)
    – Peter M
    Commented Sep 14, 2016 at 11:34

1 Answer 1


Without your foreign Passport or an ID issued in the United States, there is no way to guarantee you will be able to pass through TSA.

You may be able to pass TSA without ID as described here: Forgot Your ID?

Unfortunately, there is no way to know if they can/will allow you to pass without actually trying.

  • 1
    It might help to have a receipt for the passport issued by the consulate processing the visa application.
    – phoog
    Commented Sep 14, 2016 at 16:37
  • 1
    @phoog I'd combine that with a photocopy of the info page of the passport. No guarantees, though. Commented Nov 28, 2016 at 4:29

You must log in to answer this question.