I am from the Netherlands and I want to registrar my drone to get a licence. This can be done with an US prepaid credit card with a registration address in the US. Next month I would be flying to Denver Colorado USA.

What is the easiest way to obtain this card?

  • in a word, it's impossible to do this these days. maybe 15 years ago at best. "they've thought of that" , you know? – Fattie Sep 11 '16 at 14:58

Do you have an address in the US yet? Do you have a social security number? You will likely need both for a rechargeable prepaid debit card. Same for a secured credit card (ie you open an account with $500, they give you $500 credit line).

You might consider a Visa Gift Card, which can be bought and used by anyone. But if the registrar for drones is limiting registration to US based cards, they maybe able to detect a gift card and block it to avoid registrations by foreigners.

  • The FAA doesn't really care what your nationality is. There are lots of foreign-registered aircraft. The drone process is new and different though. – Michael Hampton Sep 11 '16 at 19:24
  • @MichaelHampton Obviously the FAA has some concerns about something if they mandate a US based card. But I don't know the exact rules so won't get into a debate over it. – user13044 Sep 12 '16 at 1:21

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.