I have Brazilian and Italian citizenship and passports. Renewing the Brazilian passport I plan to apply for a USA visa on it.

Is it true that from that moment on I MUST enter the USA using exclusively the Brazilian passport? I mean: no longer benefiting from the visa waiver program (VWP) until the visa is expired?

The reason for my question is quite simple: While I don't need to use the VWP, if I have a valid visa I would like to keep using the automated passport machines available in the airport I normally use when go to the States. Those machines are for US citizens/residents and ESTA (VWP) users.

The question may sound odd, but I was told that IF you have a valid visa you SHOULD use that passport to enter the US. (therefore entering the regular immigration line). Of course when I travel I have both passports with me.

  • 1
    Why would you apply for a visa if you're VWP-eligible? And why not apply for one for your Italian passport then?
    – JonathanReez
    Sep 10, 2016 at 15:26
  • VWP is less flexible than a regular VISA. For instance, the maximum stay is limited to 90 days. There are other limitations.
    – user51044
    Sep 10, 2016 at 16:06
  • Friends told me that. In fact that was BEFORE the machines were installed. May be the current practice is different.
    – user51044
    Sep 10, 2016 at 16:11
  • Note that just about any recent press on APC machines now includes the fact that B1/B2 visa holders can use the machines. E.g. see this, from the Bahamas, or this, from Hawaii.
    – user38879
    Sep 10, 2016 at 18:19
  • The CBP site and many airport's signs don't say this yet but there's a good chance you can, or will soon be able to, use the passport with the visa at APC machines.
    – user38879
    Sep 10, 2016 at 18:22

2 Answers 2


From personal experience (although not with the US), I had a current Schengen visa in one of my passports when I got my US citizenship. On my next trip to Europe I used my US passport, despite having another passport with a still valid visa which was valid for the purpose of the visit. Nobody asked any questions.

Now regarding the USA, I have found no specific information about it in FAMs or on DoS website about that. Thus my answer would be more of a speculation conclusion, and it would be "no, you would not be required to use a specific passport to enter the USA" simply because you have a visa in that passport. Consider the typical case where the passport with the visa is no longer in your possession because it has been replaced/lost/damaged.

Interestingly enough, the US visa application form doesn't even ask about all your nationalities.


If you have two nationalities, you may enter the US using either one you wish.

If you enter using a VWP-eligible nationality, you must have an ESTA, and if you enter using a nationality that requires a visa, you must have a visa.

I have dual citizenship from both a VWP country and a non-VWP country?

If you are flying under the terms of the VWP, with your VWP passport, you must apply for ESTA. If you are using your non-VWP country's passport, you will require a visa and therefore ESTA does not apply to you.

  • Small nitpick: if you enter with a VWP eligible passport, you can still choose to get a B visa in that passport and not use the VWP, thereforenot requiringESTA . But if the B visa is in another passport, as it is in this case, the traveler would have to use the VWP.
    – phoog
    Sep 10, 2016 at 21:09

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .