Places expects foreigners paying a large amount are more likely to accept credit cards, such as:
- Ticket office (but not vending machines) in major railway stations, e.g. JR West "Green Window".
- Convenience stores, e.g. FamilyMart, LAWSON, 7-11.
- Department stores.
- Amusement parks, e.g. Universal Studio Japan (USJ in Osaka).
- Taxis in major cities / urban areas.
However, you still need cash for having ramen, entering parks and temples, riding buses and for a lot of things. Make sure always have a good amount of cash with you. :)
- JCB (Japan Credit Bureau)
- American Express
Other cards such as Diners Club and China UnionPay are accepted, but not as widely accepted as the aboves. For instance, ticket office of JR West and bag drop counters of Peach Aviatvion does not accept China UnionPay.
Using credit card in Japan
Usually stripe, some new terminals use EMVs.
For some places like convenience stores, no signature is required for purchase under ¥10,000.
Yet, I did not find any terminals accepts VISA payWave or MasterCard Contactless.