If Russian citizen, has a EU spouse (traveling together) and Swedish permanent residency. Does he/she still required a visa to Ireland?

Family member of EU national: If you are a non-EEA national coming to Ireland from another EU country as a dependant of an EU national, and you do not hold a document called "Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen", you may need a visa when you first travel to Ireland.

how to get this Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen ?

"you may need a visa"... may not?


Implementation in Ireland

Ireland calls its Residence Card Stamp 4EUFam (EU Directive 2004/38/EC). Ireland has now implemented this part of the directive in full according with the Immigration Act 2004 (Visas) Order 2011 and consequently it is now possible for family members to gain entry into Ireland with a residence card issued by any member state.[6]

  • Is the EU spouse a Swedish citizen?
    – Relaxed
    Aug 26, 2016 at 10:31
  • How did you obtain permanent residency? Were you already a permanent resident before you married?
    – Relaxed
    Aug 26, 2016 at 10:37
  • Yes, EU spouse is a Swedish citizen. In Sweden I got it because of "family reunion" with my wife, before I had another EU residency. Aug 26, 2016 at 12:46
  • What do you mean by another EU residency? You lived in another EU country? Was it with your wife? What was your status then?
    – Relaxed
    Aug 26, 2016 at 13:24
  • Yes, we lived in another EU country, I had a temporary residency because of my work. Yes, we were married. I just didn't apply for Swedish one, as we didn't live in Sweden that time :) Does it help to answer my question?) Aug 26, 2016 at 13:34

1 Answer 1


The spouse of an EU national can get such a residence card by applying for it in the couple's country of residence (but only if they do not reside in the EU citizen's country of citizenship). Most people in this situation would have one anyway because it's typically the easiest solution.

The relevant Swedish government website has some information about it.

  • I have this residency card (got it because of family reunion with my wife). But I guess it's different from "Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen" en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…, as "The residence card should clearly state that the holder is a family member of an EU national." and my card doesn't say anything about it... Aug 26, 2016 at 12:54
  • 1
    @ViacheslavBakshaev your card doesn't say anything about it because your wife is Swedish. Your residence is therefore not governed by EU law, but by Swedish law.
    – phoog
    Aug 26, 2016 at 13:13
  • 1
    @ViacheslavBakshaev Yes, that's why I added “(but only if they do not reside in the EU citizen's country of citizenship)”. You do not have this residence card but a regular Swedish residence permit. Your situation is different and you do not qualify for the visa exemption (but you do qualify for a simplified visa, the EEA family permit).
    – Relaxed
    Aug 26, 2016 at 13:24
  • thx, guys... need to apply then.. :( Aug 26, 2016 at 13:37

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .