I'll be moving to Dubai next month on work visa and then again would be flying to USA in Dec or Jan for 3 weeks due to personal reasons. How and where should I apply for tourist (B1/B2) visa? Should I come back to India and apply as I'm an Indian citizen or can the same be applied from Dubai itself?

  • 1
    Did you mean Indian citizen ? If not, what's your citizenship ?
    – blackbird
    Aug 25, 2016 at 14:27
  • 1
    @blackbird Yes, I'm an Indian citizen.
    – newbie
    Aug 25, 2016 at 14:35
  • Can you prove your intentions to return to Dubai, if you apply from Dubai ?
    – DumbCoder
    Aug 25, 2016 at 16:24
  • @DumbCoder: Yes I can as its my place of work.
    – newbie
    Aug 29, 2016 at 18:22
  • Can anyone please help me out on this?
    – newbie
    Aug 30, 2016 at 18:54

1 Answer 1


Should I come back to India and apply as I'm an Indian citizen?

I take it you are in the 14-79 age bracket given your Dubai work visa so doing so might slightly increase your chances of obtaining a visa but I doubt most people would consider the cost and effort justified. (If an interview were unlikely to be required, ie other ages, then where the application is made should make next to no difference, rather than perhaps a little difference.)

or can the same be applied from Dubai itself?

Yes. The indications are that the process might take months (Date in mind for interview (allow for approximately 3 to 4 months) but about two weeks for an appointment may be sufficient. The interview should be arranged "with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live" but for Dubai this is Abu Dhabi instead. Once in Dubai on a work permit UAE should count as your place of permanent residence.

You will need to complete an online application (DS-160), provide a photograph and pay fees (possibly $160 for application and no reciprocity fee). Details here.

Note it is B-2 that is a Tourist visa (B-1 is Business, though sometimes a combination is issued regardless of which of the two was requested).

The US Consulate in Abu Dhabi:

provides nonimmigrant visa services to Emiratis residing anywhere in the UAE and to third-country nationals residing in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. The Embassy provides immigrant visa services to the entire United Arab Emirates and for persons residing in Iran.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .