Would an American citizen travelling from Japan to Israel on a tourist visa have an issue (legal or with airport security) if they don't have a return ticket?

  • I would edit out your second question as that's off-topic for this site
    – blackbird
    Commented Aug 24, 2016 at 15:38
  • 1
    @blackbird Just to understand, in the second sentence I'm wondering whether future plans might affect the security process or legality of traveling there without a return ticket. Isn't that an important part of the question? (Or why is that off-topic?)
    – Malper
    Commented Aug 24, 2016 at 15:51
  • Of course they will, the first question they'll ask you is likely to be a variation of "What brings you here ?". Questions about moving long term are off-topic for this site, we deal more with tourist type travels. Our sister site expats are more knowledgeable about these things
    – blackbird
    Commented Aug 24, 2016 at 15:54
  • 1
    @Malper It would. You don't have to have a return ticket but you have to answer a question of "How long are you planning to stay?" to the border control's satisfaction. Or just claim Aliyah at the border.
    – Karlson
    Commented Aug 24, 2016 at 16:45
  • Editing the question from "if they are applying" to "if they can say they are applying" makes no difference at all. Commented Aug 24, 2016 at 20:54

1 Answer 1


The return ticket issue is more likely to be a problem at airline check-in. British Airways (but not a large number of other airlines I have used) hold strictly to the rule that you should have a return or onward ticket when you check in. They made me buy a (refundable) return. I doubt if the BA check-in clerk will be interested in judging if you are eligible for aliyah.

I suppose in the unlikely event that you are asked for a return ticket only on arrival (a question I have never been asked), you could short-circuit any problem by declaring an intention to immigrate.

  • 1
    I would not recommend declaring an intention to immigrate; that's going to raise more flags that it lowers Commented Aug 29, 2016 at 17:57
  • 'declaring an intention to immigrate' is a very bad advise in ANY given country without a specific immigration visa or eligibility. And also - I have been asked for a return tickets ( or means ) on multiple occasions in multiple countries . Commented Jul 10, 2018 at 1:29
  • In my case, and I think in Joel's, we can pull down our pants to show eligibility to immigrate to Israel. Commented Jul 10, 2018 at 19:56

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .