I'm traveling from Macao to India with Air Asia and have an 8-hour transit in Kuala Lumpur.

I do not plan to leave the airport, but I'm wondering if I need a transit visa for Malaysia.

  • You may also want to amend the question title to include the transit location as well. – The Wandering Coder Aug 23 '16 at 4:02
  • @choster - Your edits have changed the character of this question. The OPs original verbiage said "airasia fly through" (actually branded as "AirAsia Fly-Thru") which is crucial to this question, as it is a program that allows passengers to check their bags through and not claim them in KUL. You and Burhan kind of went overboard editing this question. – user13044 Aug 23 '16 at 5:19
  • @Tom Ah, sorry, I was not familiar with that offering, but this is exactly why conventional orthography and diction is so important online. A capital letter, and I would have Googled. – choster Aug 23 '16 at 12:22

Looking at the original verbiage of your question, if you are using AirAsia's Fly-Thru service, then you can remain airside and not enter the country.

If you are not using the Fly-Thru service, then you will need to enter the country, claim your checked bags and then check in for the second flight, as AirAsia is primarily a point to point carrier (except fares with Fly-Thru). What visa may be required in this case is solely dependent on your nationality, which we don't know at the moment.

  • 1
    AirAsia's Fly-Thru service applies only to its own flights and all their flights go via KLIA2. As far as I know, there is no way to travel between KLIA1 and KILA2 while remaining "airside", you have to clear immigration. – user13044 Aug 23 '16 at 6:12
  • 1
    Fly-Thru is a relatively new offering by AirAsia (last couple of years) and is available now when transiting through either KUL or DMK (Bangkok). – user13044 Aug 23 '16 at 6:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.