I'm a resident here in Italy, I had my carta identita. I'm planning to go to France end of the month this September the problem is I'm on renewal on Sept 9' and I'll wait about 2 months to get it. Is it possible that I can go to France without it or can I attach a form that I'm for renewal to present it to the inspector in the airport in France ?

  • 3
    It might depend on your exact status but typically if you have an expired residence permit together with some receipt showing you applied for a renewal, you should be OK. Also, you probably won't have to undergo a police check if you fly to France.
    – Relaxed
    Aug 22, 2016 at 18:49
  • If it is Ryan Air, they will insist on seeing documents.
    – DavChana
    Nov 20, 2016 at 18:01

1 Answer 1


"Is it possible that I can go to France without it or can I attach a form that I'm for renewal to present it to the inspector in the airport in France ?"

When going by plane, you will not see a border inspector in the first place. Flights between Italy and France are considered domestic flights, since the Schengen Area (of which both France and Italy are a part) is a single country for border purposes.

If you check in online for your flight and only have hand luggage, there is a good chance you won't have to show any ID when boarding your flight (they often only require the boarding pass at the gate for flights within Schengen)

Otherwise, simply present a valid passport when required. As stated by the European commission, check-in staff should not check your legal status, only that you're the person on the ticket. However, Ryanair notoriously violates this, so avoid them.

However, according to IATA, strictly technically speaking you are not allowed to make this trip:

Passengers with a residence permit issued by France, French Guiana, French West Indies and Reunion.This does not apply to temporary permits issued pending a first application for a residence permit. In cases where a residence permit has expired, the passenger must have a receipt of application for a new residence permit and their expired residence permit.


Passengers with a residence permit issued by Andorra, Monaco or another Schengen Member State for a max. stay of 90 days.

Note there's no mention of expired residence permits or renewal receipts being accepted for holders of non-French permits

In other words, according to this info, your trip would be allowed if you had a French residence permit, but not with an Italian one.

Again, however, when flying within Schengen airlines are not supposed to check your legal status, and you will not meet any immigration inspectors.

In short: according to Timatic, technically you cannot do this trip, but in practice you can as long as you avoid Ryanair

  • Not supposed to, but they still check. And as far as I know there's no penalty for violating that rule.
    – JonathanReez
    Dec 15, 2016 at 7:57
  • @JonathanReez Ryanair does, but not others (or do you have any other experience with a particular Airline?)
    – Crazydre
    Dec 15, 2016 at 8:00
  • I do, in fact I've asked a question about it here recently: travel.stackexchange.com/questions/82734/…
    – JonathanReez
    Dec 15, 2016 at 8:22
  • 1
    @JonathanReez Alright. Smartwings doesn't fly between Italy and France, or I would have added it to the answer. However, I know from experience that airlines such as Air France, Alitalia and easyjet, as well as Lufthansa, Swiss, LOT, Germanwings (though these aren't relevant) and a bunch of others rarely check ID at the gate for intra-Schengen flights (except easyjet), and if they do, they only check that you're the person on the ticket (including easyjet)
    – Crazydre
    Dec 16, 2016 at 10:56
  • I don't think your inference that Timatic shows travel with this receipt is not allowed is correct. The text quoted in your answer does not state anything about permits from other EU countries one way or the other. My guess is that it mentions French permits because that's what makes the most sense in this context but this is really about the fact that only a receipt for a renewal (as opposed to a first application) exempts the holder from the visa requirement.
    – Relaxed
    Dec 16, 2016 at 11:02

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .