I am being flown out by a company for an on-site visit. Will I earn miles for this trip, or will the company?
By default, yes. There are a few cases where you might not:
- the company has some sort of flight pass. Some of those passes accrue miles only by being bought, not by being used
- the company got you a ticket by redeeming miles or the like - reward tickets don't earn miles
- the company booked and bought a super cheap fare that doesn't earn miles
If the fare earns miles, you'll be the one who earns them. Make sure your number is recorded (when you check in, ask the person to make sure it's there and add it if it's not) and you'll be all set. Most Frequent Flyers earned their status with tickets their employers and clients paid for.
Depends on the company, the airline, and the agreement between them. I flew a lot for my employers, and I have hundreds of thousands of miles on my frequent flier accounts for these flights. Obviously I didn't pay for any of those trips.
Usually the person whose name is on the ticket and whose membership number is on the boarding pass will be the one to get the miles, regardless of who paid. But I've heard of cases where the employers had specific agreements with airlines that would make it otherwise.
When purchasing a ticket through aa.com, you have the option to enter both your individual AAdvantage number and the business' BusinessExtraa number. So both the company and the traveler get credit for the flight.
If the company did not provide your AAdvantage number when they bought your ticket, you can still get credit for it.
- Save your boarding passes! Each has a ticket number on it that you will need to request a credit.
- Log into your AAdvantage account.
- Click on the link all the way at the bottom of your account summary that says "Request Credit". Or just use this link.
- Fill out the form completely:
- AAdvantage account information (should be pre-filled).
- Flight information, including the ticket number from the boarding pass for each segment.
- It can take up to 30 days for the miles to appear in your account.
- You can check the status of your credit request online.