My flight is in 1 week and my passport has expired. I have all of my completed docs/materials but I'm not able to go to the regional passport agency myself. Is it possible for my friend to go to the agency in my place if I sign an authorization form?

Edit: I know third party expedited service agencies are allowed to renew on my behalf as long as I fill out an authorization form, but their fees are exorbitant. I'm just wondering if the same permissions could be applied to a third party individual (instead of agency). I wasn't able to find anything online that specifically answered that question

  • Which form are you using? DS-82 (i.e. you eligible to apply by mail) or DS-80 (which requires personal appearance)? Also, I suggest you call the appointment hotline (there are humans there), and ask.
    – George Y.
    Commented Aug 21, 2016 at 2:05
  • @GeorgeY.: Renewing by mail with DS-82 would have basically zero chance of being completed in a week. Commented Aug 21, 2016 at 3:07
  • Even with expedited service at a passport agency, they quote 8 days processing time. You may need to bite the bullet and pay the fees to change your flight dates.
    – user13044
    Commented Aug 21, 2016 at 3:15
  • @Tom If you show up with airline tickets in hand, they can usually get it done much sooner, often even the same day, but they don't guarantee it. Commented Aug 21, 2016 at 4:02
  • @GeorgeY.: Incidentally, Form DS-80 doesn't seem to exist. Are you thinking of DS-11? Commented Aug 21, 2016 at 4:33

2 Answers 2


You have to go in person. However, you can hire a courier to act on your behalf. The State Department website implies they have no special relationship or permission, but they do - a courier has to be registered with the US State Department.

This article has a very good explanation.

Given your time frame, it sounds like your best bet is to hire a registered courier.

  • Thanks, I might have to resort to playing hooky from work to stand in line at the agency since I can't get any time off.
    – user50076
    Commented Aug 21, 2016 at 23:03

It appears that you cannot. Every reference I could find to applying at a passport agency uses the phrase "in person" and says nothing about sending a friend or other agent. Also, it says here that you have to show identification at the passport agency, so your friend can't go and pretend that she is you.

  • Thanks, I saw that information for if I needed a first time passport, but for renewing passports you don't necessarily have to go in person. I know couriers are allowed to go on my behalf to renew my passport, so I'm just wondering if that applies to a person as well assuming I sign an authorization form.
    – user50076
    Commented Aug 21, 2016 at 22:52

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .