I am an Indian citizen who wants to apply for a passport. In India, an "address proof" is a document which proves where you live and is required for passport applications, among other things.

For the last three years I have been working in a city while living in a rented home. This is my present address. But there is also a home owned by my family, which I could also potentially use. I have submitted both the rented home and the family home in the application.

My father works in the government, and lives in a home provided by the government. I don't want to use that address proof, as he will retire in a few months and thus relocate from that home.

For my present address (the rented home) I believe I have these types of proofs:

  1. Aadhar card
  2. Bank passbook with photo
  3. Voter ID

But for my family home (the home owned by my family) all the documents are in the names of family members. The only thing in my own name is #4, which I'm not sure about.

I have the following for the family home:

  1. Water bill (in the name of my paternal grandfather.)
  2. Electricity bill (in the name of my paternal grandfather.)
  3. Gas Connection (in the name of paternal uncle.)
  4. A piece of land attached to my house registered in my name. (Not sure if this is applicable for address proof.)
  5. Telephone bill (in the name of paternal uncle.)

Which of these documents (if any) will be useful for a passport application?

  • 1
    Why would you need proof of your address for your family home, when you don't actually live there? Aug 12, 2016 at 16:31
  • @DJClayworth For the purposes of the passport, he can list it as his home. He only needs one adress proof, but he may fear that he doesn't have a proper one for the rented home.
    – Fiksdal
    Aug 15, 2016 at 17:49
  • @Fiksdal : I have proper for rented home, but not for the family home
    – trex
    Aug 16, 2016 at 5:16
  • @trex Then why don't you just use the one from the rented home?
    – Fiksdal
    Aug 16, 2016 at 9:13
  • @Fiksdal: In this case I would say, I am not sure, whether I need to furnish both the addresses or only one is enough.
    – trex
    Aug 16, 2016 at 12:16

2 Answers 2


Indian passport application requires to give address proof of all the places you have lived in past one year.

Since you have been living in your rented place for last three years, so it is absolutely valid to use it as your address proof. You don't have to provide any other place as proof of address. You can use Aadhar card and Voter Id as your address proof.


The easiest thing here is to simply ask the people in charge of issuing passports at the Collectors Office. Tell them about whatever documents you have, and ask them if any of them will do. Your situation would likely be a common one, and the official has probably dealt with it before. Just ask the officials about your documents.

In the case that none of your documents are applicable, your last resort would be to get a phone connection or something in your own name. You may be able to find one without a monthly fee where you just pay for usage.

  • 1
    I believe, lots of indians might have similar situation. So I will consider your answer(suggestion) as a last option.
    – trex
    Aug 12, 2016 at 9:12
  • @trex Yes, I certainly hope you get an answer from someone more experienced. It may save you the time of having to ask the officials. But after all, you'll have to get in touch with the officials in the end anyway.
    – Fiksdal
    Aug 12, 2016 at 9:20
  • Yes you're right (y)
    – trex
    Aug 12, 2016 at 10:01
  • And it has now happened :)
    – Fiksdal
    Aug 23, 2016 at 8:36
  • Yes ;). But actually I should accept your answer (aka efforts). I had confirmed with Passport officials and they mentioned exactly as boroxun' s answer. So I considered his answer as it was more accurate. Don't mind :)
    – trex
    Aug 23, 2016 at 10:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.