I have just moved to France with a 'Blue Card' work permit with my son and wife. We have type D visas (3 months to begin with) running out this week and have already applied for our first carte de séjour. As of right now, we have the receipts for our carte, which allow us to travel within the EU freely.

Now here's the problem: I have a trip planned to Dubai (Turkish airlines via Istanbul) during the time when I don't have the carte de séjour. I have been granted a temporary extended visa for my professional visits, but that doesn't extend to my wife.

My wife, however, has an overlapping Schengen type C visa, that was granted prior to the type D and expires long after the type D.

In short, my question is: can my wife come into France on the type C Schengen?


  • Both my wife and I have applied for our first carte de séjour. We have receipts which act as proxy visas within the EU, but not to enter the EU (for your first Carte DS). Application for my son can only be done once we get ours because he is 7 months old

  • @phoog: correct, we wish to travel to Dubai and come back to France.

  • None of us have carte de séjour yet. I have been given an extended 'return visa' which is given under exceptional circumstances such as medical emergencies or for professional reasons. I was able to get a letter from my employer to prove professional reasons. My wife doesn't have this return visa.

  • My son doesn't need the visa because, as a minor, he qualifies for a document called the DCEM, which allows to travel into the EU.

  • My wife has a Schengen which should still be active. It was issued in Sep'15 up to Sep'16. We got our type D visa from May 16 to Aug 16.

closed as off-topic by JonathanReez, iHaveacomputer, mts, Olielo, David Richerby Aug 11 '16 at 7:40

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • What does your trip to Dubai have to do with your wife coming to France ? – blackbird Aug 1 '16 at 12:43
  • 1
    @blackbird57 presumably she wants to travel to Dubai with her husband, and to return to their home in France at the end of the trip. – phoog Aug 1 '16 at 12:44
  • 1
    So let me see if I have this right: Noone in the family has carte de sejour, you all want to leave the country to Dubai and then you want to your wife to come back on a C visa. What about the rest of you? – Karlson Aug 1 '16 at 12:57
  • Updated the question with clarifications. – Karan Kalia Aug 1 '16 at 13:13
  • 1
    You may want to ask this on Expatriates since, while it is about short-term travel, it is about short-term travel as an expatriate. You are more likely to reach people there who have also wanted to travel while awaiting a French carte de séjour. – phoog Aug 1 '16 at 13:21