I am an EU/US dual national. I am returning from a trip to California back home to Brussels. However, in the meantime, my European passport has expired! I have no other forms of European ID with me.

Must I enter the EU on my US passport, as a tourist, or is there some other way?

  • I assume I cannot enter the EU on an expired EU passport, so must use my valid US one ... I was avoiding this because I think I will just get a 90 day tourist visa on the border – Teusz Jul 30 '16 at 11:49
  • Great, if it's no problem to enter the EU on a expired EU passport, then it's really no issue! But otherwise, the problem is that no one ever checks passports on the Belgian border, so I'd have a hard time getting an exit stamp on my US passport once to avoid violating my 3 month tourist visa (and maybe incurring a fine). – Teusz Jul 30 '16 at 12:00
  • If I stay "overstay" my tourist visa, I assume there's a penalty! – Teusz Jul 30 '16 at 12:07
  • 1
    They cannot fine you for staying in Schengen because you are Belgian. You don't lose your rights as a Belgian just because you show a US passport at the border. – phoog Jul 30 '16 at 17:08

Timatic tells me that an expired passport is accepted, as long as it has been expired for less than five years. You can also use a national identity card, but it is not accepted if it is expired.

Passport required.

  • Nationals of Belgium are allowed to enter with an expired passport. The passport is accepted when expired for a maximum of 5 years.
  • Nationals of Belgium traveling without a passport must have a document accepted for entry, valid on arrival.

Passport Exemptions:

  • Nationals of Belgium with a national ID card.
  • Nationals of Belgium with an emergency or a temporary passport.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.