I had applied for Schengen visa of my wife and received it today. But there is a typo in her name. Her middle name has been spelt wrongly. Vinay has been written as Vijay.

Can we travel with this typo in the visa or should I apply for correction? I need to travel next weekend and I am afraid that if I apply for correction then will I get the corrected visa in time or not ?

  • 7
    Those sorts of errors should be corrected, especially if she's in the system with a wrong name.
    – Gayot Fow
    Jul 29 '16 at 14:20
  • 4
    Do not delay, contact the consulate (preferably), or VFS (if you cannot contact the consulate) immediately. Aug 1 '16 at 8:04
  • 2
    I wouldn't be worried about this typo. Her visa already in her passport.
    – MikkaRin
    Aug 1 '16 at 15:38
  • I reapplied for visa correction with an application and the visa was reissued by the consulate.
    – V K
    Mar 18 '17 at 10:41

If you still have enough days before travel, it's better to contact the consulate and make an attempt to correct it. They may even issue a new visa if the mistake is on their part.

  • @pnuts That's a very well known spammy site, the purpose of which is to generate traffic, do blackhat SEO type things, etc. I'm quite sure a less unsavoury site can be found as a source, perhaps even an official site. Oct 15 '16 at 15:28

According to the Handbook for the processing of visa applications:

If an error is detected by the issuing consulate after the visa sticker has been affixed to the travel document, the visa sticker shall be invalidated by drawing a cross with indelible ink on the visa sticker and a new visa sticker shall be affixed to a different page.

Which means you have to apply to the consulate which issued your visa to receive an updated visa sticker.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.