I am looking to travel to the UK (Britain) to visit my fiancée. I have the passport and I am getting the funds for the visa and the trip. But I am not completely sure how much money I would need to actually be allowed in. I am looking to stay for about a month and a half to two months. I was already turned away at the door for not having enough funds with me, so I don't want to make that mistake again and waste another 1,800 for airfare only to get told I can't get in.

So please if someone could tell me at least the range of how much money I would need to get the Standard Visitors visa and to be able to get into the country. I will be staying with my fiancée the entire time, so I won't be needing funds for room and board and such.

What do I need to bring, both in documentation and in funds?

  • 3
    My understanding is that since you are applying for a visa rather than trying to enter visa-free (which is allowed for US citizens), the funds check will be done at the time of the visa application, and not at the border. And you don't have to buy the plane ticket until after you have the visa. So either way you won't waste the airfare. Maybe someone can confirm this. Jul 28, 2016 at 4:22
  • 2
    I also suggest you have a credit card. Frankly, it is rather unusual for US Citizens to be refused entry. Can you tell us more about the interview you had? Jul 28, 2016 at 4:45
  • 2
    @Elizabeth Were you once refused entry to the UK at the border? Have you read our other questions about similar circumstances, as well as our great many questions about funds. (Quick hint - there is no fixed amount, there just has to be enough for what you plan to do, and enough that you aren't left destitute by the trip)
    – CMaster
    Jul 28, 2016 at 9:07
  • 4
  • 2
    Ohh, this one is good too: travel.stackexchange.com/questions/69115/… Also, remember that you are not allowed to get married in the UK on either visa-free entry or a visitor visa.
    – CMaster
    Jul 28, 2016 at 10:15