I am a student from India. I have a study permit (temporary resident visa). I was just checking a flight from New Delhi to Toronto. One of the flights I was interested in was New Delhi -> London, London -> Montreal, Montreal -> Toronto.

In Montreal it says I require a transit visa. Do I really need it even though I have a student permit?

  • 1
    Sorry its not transit visa at the last rather study permit – Syed Almaas Parvez Jul 27 '16 at 10:49
  • 3
    You will clear Canadian immigration in Montreal, because that is your port of entry to Canada. You will not clear immigration in Toronto, because the flight from Montreal to Toronto is a domestic flight. Whatever visa or other immigration requirements you have for Canada, then, will be needed in Montreal, not in Toronto. Similarly, as you seem to have realized, because Canada is your final destination, you are not in transit in Canada, and you do not require a transit visa. – phoog Jul 27 '16 at 12:15
  • I would answer your question with a proper answer if you clarify a bit. You say that "it" says you require a transit visa. What is "it" in that sentence? Since nobody could possibly need a Canadian transit visa for that itinerary, the claim that one is needed is baffling. – phoog Jul 27 '16 at 12:37
  • To be clear - you are studying in Toronto and have a student visa for Canada? – DJClayworth Jul 27 '16 at 13:06
  • 1
    @blackbird57: Just because he has the visa that he needs doesn't change the fact that he needs that visa in the first place. – hmakholm left over Monica Jul 27 '16 at 15:01

On the assumption that you are studying in Toronto and therefore have the appropriate visa for Canada no you do not also need a transit visa to pass through Montreal.

Transit visas are for when you land in a country en route to a different country. Toronto and Montreal are in the same country.

You will clear Canadian immigration in Montreal, where they will check your visa etc., and then board the domestic flight to Toronto.

  • Actually, the answer can be based on a broader assumption: that the traveler has any Canadian visa other than a transit visa, since the trip ends in Toronto. – phoog Jul 27 '16 at 14:07
  • Also this question is not a duplicate of travel.stackexchange.com/questions/30522/…. – phoog Jul 27 '16 at 14:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.