I have an F-1 Visa but I will not attend the university because I couldn't get an scholarship. Instead I will attend a university at France. Could I use my F-1 visa to enter the US to make a connection flight? Would it be valid?


No. An F-1 visa is valid for study. You can only use it to enter the US when you are properly enrolled at an authorized institution and they have indicated this status in the SEVIS database. When you arrive at the port of entry, the officer will check the database and you may well be denied entry.

If your nationality is such that you need a visa to transit the United States, you'll need to apply for a new visa.

  • 2
    ...or find a way to travel to France without a connection in the US.
    – phoog
    Jul 27 '16 at 0:10
  • 2
    There are at least a dozen possible MEX-CDG routings, with dozens of flights daily, only a few of which transit the US. This ought to be pretty easy. Jul 27 '16 at 0:48
  • Sure, they are way more expensive, though. Jul 27 '16 at 1:05
  • @ARamirez I found an Air France MEX-CDG nonstop at $28,475 ($1,530 USD) one way. I guess this is expensive, but as airfares go, it's not completely insane. And it is premium economy. And strangely, the flights with connections seem to cost the same or even more. Jul 27 '16 at 3:10
  • 3
    @Joe Anybody who needs a visa to enter the US would need a visa to transit the US (the US does not have international transits without going through immigration). Mexico is not a visa waiver program country and would need a significantly lower visa refusal rate before it would be eligible. Jul 27 '16 at 4:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.