I'm thinking of driving my motorbike to Iran. I've heard you need a 500% Carnet de Passages en Douane (CPD) to get into Iran, which would cost ~ €10,000 → €15,000. However I don't have that kind of money, even if you do get it back when you leave the country (with your vehicle). I've heard that you can get CPD insurance, where an insurance company fronts the cash, and you pay them. I've heard quotes of 10% CPD insurance, which would cost €1,000 → €1,500, which is a bit much.

Does anyone have any experience driving to Iran and getting a CPD? Where can I get cheap CPD insurance?

  • 3
    What do you mean exactly with "carnet insurance"? Are you talking about a Carnet de Passage?
    – fretje
    Jul 1, 2011 at 11:02
  • Yes, Carnet de Passage. I've updated the question Aug 12, 2011 at 10:32
  • 1
    I think you have a typo - don't you mean "Carpet insurance for flying into Iran"?
    – Golden Cuy
    Jan 30, 2012 at 12:43
  • @AndrewGrimm nope, no typo. I do mean carnet de passage insurance for driving into Iran Jan 30, 2012 at 18:58
  • @RoryMcCann: It was an attempt at humour.
    – Golden Cuy
    Jan 30, 2012 at 21:53

1 Answer 1


www.horizonsunlimited.com Is the best place to get information on motorcycle overlanding. Answer I can give you is: it depends where you live. It's easiest to get the carnet in your own country so you're usually restricted by what's available there. I can only speak for the UK, where I was able to get a carnet insurance for ~£1,300 for a £2,000 motorcycle (but the UK is notoriously expensive for carnets), though upon the safe return of the motorbike and carnet to the home country, I got a refund of about £700 of that. You'll have to contact the carnet issuing companies in your country for a definitive answer.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .