I would like to invite my friend who is a Nigerian living in Italy and holding a Italian residency (permesso di soggiorno) to visit me in USA. Can an Italian resident (permesso di soggiorno) obtain a tourist visa to travel to USA? What if he is not working? I would be the one sponsoring his trip. Would he be allowed to visit?


He can apply, having a job is not a requirement.

But he is not in a good position to get a visa. Several points, not all will weigh as strongly, but there might be more still.

  • He is a single male, who has left his home country for a lenghty stay abroad;
  • This amplifies that he may have no or few ties back home to return to;
  • He is coming from a country with a tradition of visa abuse, thus making it harder for the genuine people to get visa;
  • He is not leading an independent life... he does not have the resources to sponsor himself. This heightens his risk profile.

I do not say that he is/will do any of these things, it is what the people granting visa will see and fear.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.