I am from the UK and planning on traveling through Europe into west Asia. I would like to volunteer while staying at home-stays for brief periods e.g one or two weeks.

For example - one website: http://www.thetravellerslounge.co.uk/visas/ says I can travel 90 days in Turkey without a visa, so could I also live at a home-stay using 'workaway' or 'helpx' and volunteer there without getting any visa? Or is that classed as working?

  • have you made contact with some workaway host? – Newton Aug 3 '16 at 4:17
  • Yes I have already had an offer from a family in Turkey – L J Aug 18 '16 at 6:44

As a UK citizen and a visitor, you're required to obtain an electronic visa that allows you 90 days in Turkey. This should largely cover the time of your stay, which you mentioned was a couple of weeks.

Turkey defines work, the criteria for a work visa, as being a paid activity.
It doesn't have a specific volunteering visa, and you'll note that work visas require detailed documents about your payment, employer and specific wage requirements. So if you're not being paid, that makes you ineligible for a work visa.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.