I hold a UK provisional drivers licence.

Will I still be able to hire a scooter in San Antonio, Ibiza?

  • +1, wonderful question! Please add if you are travelling on a British passport to Ibiza.
    – Gayot Fow
    Jul 20 '16 at 15:37
  • 2
    Have you completed the CBT in the UK?
    – vclaw
    Jul 20 '16 at 22:36

To drive a vehicle in Spain you need a valid driving license and if your license is not in Spanish or English an international drivers permit. To rent a vehicle you must be allowed to drive it.

A provisional license allows you to learn how to drive under restrictions. For example, you can only drive a car with an instructor next to you and you can not go on motorways. These restrictions show quite clearly this is not a valid drivers license and you can not use it to drive outside of the UK, let alone rent a vehicle.

See https://www.gov.uk/driving-lessons-learning-to-drive/overview for all the rules

  • Some countries don't care if the license is 'provisional' or not, e.g. the US.
    – JonathanReez
    Oct 21 '16 at 11:46
  • @JonathanReez true, but that seems to be more the exception than the rule
    – Belle
    Oct 21 '16 at 15:05
  • 1
    The "only drive with an instructor next to you" restriction only applies to cars (in the UK at least). For 2-wheelers (motorbikes, or scooters like the OP wants), once you've passed the CBT you're free to roam on your own (with restrictions on speed/power/passengers/etc) as a learner
    – Gagravarr
    Oct 22 '16 at 7:33
  • @Gagravarr edited that in :)
    – Belle
    Oct 22 '16 at 12:52
  • @JonathanReez any more countries in that list?
    – kiradotee
    Mar 14 at 18:13

Not knowing how UK provisional driver's liscense, you can rent a moped with the Spanish provisional Tourism vehicle (B-type) driving liscense.

you can always email this company ( the cheapest i've found) that have mopeds from 20€/day and ask them.


  • What is the Spanish provisional B license? Oct 22 '16 at 14:41
  • The Green or White card before you get your liscense mailed.
    – CptEric
    Oct 22 '16 at 14:42
  • Ok. But that's a different concept. The British one is a learner's license, not a temporary replacement for a full license as the Spanish document. Oct 22 '16 at 14:44
  • hmm as i said i don't have knowledge on how the english liscense works, so the best would be to directly ask the company that rents the car / scooter. i've seen brittish cars ( yellow plate with UK blue) and a learner's "L" on the rear on salou and similar beach destinations.
    – CptEric
    Oct 24 '16 at 7:10

As far as I know the provisional licence is only valid in the UK, but check on gov.uk website https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-moped/overview

and if you're still uncertain you can call the DVLA

  • @pnuts but the licence is issued in the UK and they should list that provisional licence is only valid in the UK if you check with them.
    – Sela Yair
    Oct 25 '16 at 8:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.