I hold a UK provisional drivers licence.

Will I still be able to hire a scooter in San Antonio, Ibiza?

  • +1, wonderful question! Please add if you are travelling on a British passport to Ibiza.
    – Gayot Fow
    Commented Jul 20, 2016 at 15:37
  • 2
    Have you completed the CBT in the UK?
    – vclaw
    Commented Jul 20, 2016 at 22:36

3 Answers 3


To drive a vehicle in Spain you need a valid driving license and if your license is not in Spanish or English an international drivers permit. To rent a vehicle you must be allowed to drive it.

A provisional license allows you to learn how to drive under restrictions. For example, you can only drive a car with an instructor next to you and you can not go on motorways. These restrictions show quite clearly this is not a valid drivers license and you can not use it to drive outside of the UK, let alone rent a vehicle.

See https://www.gov.uk/driving-lessons-learning-to-drive/overview for all the rules

  • Some countries don't care if the license is 'provisional' or not, e.g. the US.
    – JonathanReez
    Commented Oct 21, 2016 at 11:46
  • @JonathanReez true, but that seems to be more the exception than the rule
    – Belle
    Commented Oct 21, 2016 at 15:05
  • 1
    The "only drive with an instructor next to you" restriction only applies to cars (in the UK at least). For 2-wheelers (motorbikes, or scooters like the OP wants), once you've passed the CBT you're free to roam on your own (with restrictions on speed/power/passengers/etc) as a learner
    – Gagravarr
    Commented Oct 22, 2016 at 7:33
  • @Gagravarr edited that in :)
    – Belle
    Commented Oct 22, 2016 at 12:52
  • @JonathanReez any more countries in that list?
    – kiradotee
    Commented Mar 14, 2021 at 18:13

Not knowing how UK provisional driver's liscense, you can rent a moped with the Spanish provisional Tourism vehicle (B-type) driving liscense.

you can always email this company ( the cheapest i've found) that have mopeds from 20€/day and ask them.


  • What is the Spanish provisional B license? Commented Oct 22, 2016 at 14:41
  • The Green or White card before you get your liscense mailed.
    – CptEric
    Commented Oct 22, 2016 at 14:42
  • Ok. But that's a different concept. The British one is a learner's license, not a temporary replacement for a full license as the Spanish document. Commented Oct 22, 2016 at 14:44
  • hmm as i said i don't have knowledge on how the english liscense works, so the best would be to directly ask the company that rents the car / scooter. i've seen brittish cars ( yellow plate with UK blue) and a learner's "L" on the rear on salou and similar beach destinations.
    – CptEric
    Commented Oct 24, 2016 at 7:10

As far as I know the provisional licence is only valid in the UK, but check on gov.uk website https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-moped/overview

and if you're still uncertain you can call the DVLA

  • @pnuts but the licence is issued in the UK and they should list that provisional licence is only valid in the UK if you check with them.
    – Sela Yair
    Commented Oct 25, 2016 at 8:08

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .