The Allenby Bridge is located on the border between Jordan and the West Bank. Wiki mentions the following restrictions for Israelis:

Israeli citizens are not permitted to use the terminal, except pilgrims to Mecca, the Hajj and Omra.

Does this provision also apply to dual citizens of Israel? E.g. someone who is also a citizen of Russia?

  • 1
    Are Israeli citizens formally allowed to travel into or out of Israel using foreign passports? – phoog Jul 14 '16 at 17:35
  • 1
    @phoog I don't think so. I am not a dual citizen, but I have literally seen dual citizens trying to leave Israel on a USA passport taken away by police. – Andrew Lazarus Jul 14 '16 at 17:49
  • @phoog definitely not, but if the restriction is imposed by Jordan - they might allow double citizens in through that bridge. – JonathanReez Jul 14 '16 at 18:14
  • 1
    Your link doesn't seem to work :( but that visa requirement is not only for Israeli citizens. international.visitjordan.com/generalinformation/gettingaround/… says: You can also obtain a visa upon arrival at Amman’s Queen Alia International Airport or at any other border crossing (except the King Hussein Bridge (Allenby Bridge) and the ferryboat from Egypt). So that's a Jordanian requirement. I wonder whether Israel authorities would let you pass if you showed them you are a dual citizen AND have a visa? – chx Jul 14 '16 at 18:34
  • 1
    @phoog It's possible that Jordan bans Israeli travelers, but allows Israelis to be treated as a citizen of a different country. – JonathanReez Jul 14 '16 at 19:37

The website of the United States Department of State suggests that this is not possible:

Individuals with Israeli citizenship, regardless of other nationality, including U.S. citizenship, are prohibited from entering Gaza, entering or departing Jordan via the Allenby/King Hussein Bridge, and are generally prohibited from traveling to parts of the West Bank under PA control (Area A), to include Bethlehem and Jericho.

A later section of the same page elaborates a little:

Travel to and from Jordan: Israeli citizens, including dual U.S.-Israeli citizens, are prohibited from using the Allenby/King Hussein Bridge crossing, unless as part of an official delegation or with special permission from the Israeli and Jordanian authorities. They must cross at the Yitzhak Rabin/Wadi Araba crossing in the south, near Eilat or the Jordan River crossing/Sheikh Hussein Bridge in the north, near Beit She’an.

Source: travel.state.gov information page on travel to Israel.

The website of the Israeli Airports Authority (which manages the Allenby crossing) appears to corroborate this:

The Allenby Border Terminal is reserved for Palestinians and tourists only; Israeli citizens are prohibited from crossing the border here. Indeed, the terminal is used mainly by the Palestinian population from the West Bank, and throughout the years it has operated in tight cooperation between Israel, the Palestinian Authority and Jordan.

Source: Israeli Airports Authority > Land Borders > Allenby > About

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    This possibly contradicts the official Allenby bridge website. An Israeli or Jordanian source would be far more reliable, as borders in the Middle East have a tendency to change rules very fast. – JonathanReez Nov 17 '16 at 19:36
  • @JonathanReez Updated with information from IAA website. – reirab Nov 17 '16 at 19:57

The official Israeli website of the Allenby border crossing mentions the following:

Crossing the border at the terminal requires a valid passport with an expiration date at least six months after the departure date and all required documents for exiting:

Entry visa to Jordan clearly stating that the crossing is through the Allenby Border Terminal.


Israeli citizens are required to present an entry visa to Jordan.

Therefore I presume that the only restriction is that Jordanian visas-on-arrival are not issued at the Allenby border crossing for Israelis. However it is evidently possible for them to use the bridge.

In addition, according to a Jordanian government website:

Single and multiple entry visas are available in advance from Jordanian embassies and consulates abroad. Single entry visas are also issued to EU, USA, Canadian, Australian, and New Zealand nationals at all land, sea and air borders except the King Hussein (Allenby) Bridge.

So the restriction seems to apply to citizens of all visa-on-arrival countries, not just Israel.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.