My mother is going to the USA in autumn by plane. Unfortunately she is dependent on medicals that contain an opium derivate. In many countries it is sufficient to bring a declaration of her doctor in English language that she owns and uses the opiates legally. She traveled a lot and never got any problem.
The homepage of the German US embassy states that:
- Medication should be transported in the original packaging
- Only the necessary amount of medication should be brought
- A prescription of a doctor - addressed to a CBP Officer - is required
Since the US is very strict on entry requirements, I'd like to know:
- What else to consider when taking opiates to the US by plane?
- Are there any other possible difficulties to expect when following the above guideline?
(In case it does matter, she will fly with Lufthansa from Frankfurt Main / Germany (FRA) --- San Francisco / USA (SFO))