I've quit my job to go travel around for a long period of time. At the moment I'm still doing a few weeks of notice until I'm officially off the job.

I will already apply for my Chinese visa, but what should I enter on "current occupation", since I'm still officially working, but I won't be anymore soon and also not while I'll be traveling ofcourse.

If I already put "unemployed", will this reduce my changes of getting me a 3-month tourist visa, because they might think I'll run out of money or something? Or do I just fill in employed and my current employer and they'll just have to figure it out later?

Maybe I'm overthinking this all a bit too much, but I just want to be sure my plans won't fall apart.

  • 11
    You're overthinking it. You're working out your notice period. Your current occcupation is the one you're doing.
    – Berwyn
    Jul 11, 2016 at 11:59
  • 1
    Right - just go head and put literally your current occupation. No problem here!
    – Fattie
    Jul 11, 2016 at 16:52
  • @Berwyn, I went to apply and they'd sent me back. Firstly because I'm applying for 90 days and 30 is usually the max. So now I need a bunch of extra documents and a day-by-day itinerary with attractions I'll be visiting and proof of booked hotels for each city and transport between each city... Also, I needed to change my 'current occupation' to 'unemployed' and provide bank records to show I have enough money for 3 months.
    – Lewis
    Jul 13, 2016 at 19:57
  • @Lewis Ok. So your notice period has ended now?
    – Berwyn
    Jul 13, 2016 at 20:09
  • 1
    @Lewis hi! I suggest you self-answer this question giving the answer you received at the chinese embassy, I will upvote. About the itinerary and visa questions, we have some on that already but not sure they will fit your case, don't feel afraid to ask (at worst will be closed as dupe) and feel free to ping me in chat sometime.
    – mts
    Jul 13, 2016 at 20:39

1 Answer 1


I went to the Chinese consulate and they asked me how I was able to go for 90 days as a tourist. I've explained that I've quit my job and am still doing notice for 2 more weeks.

She told me to choose 'unemployed' instead of 'employed' and that I also have to provide:

  • The related C4 document;
  • A statement of my leave written & signed by my company;
  • A bank statement as proof I have enough money (50 euro X 90 days);
  • A day-by-day itinerary (containing: proof of transport and hotels, attraction per day, ...).

I suppose the C4 document is only needed because I'll stay longer than the default 30 days for a tourism visa. (The same for the day-by-day itinerary, because last year for less than 30 days, it sufficed to only enter the names of the cities.)

And I suppose the bank statement is needed because I fill in 'unemployed'.

  • +1 I think people need to carefully consider how much information they volunteer on their visa applications.
    – Jon Grah
    May 5, 2018 at 11:07

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .