This question already has an answer here:

I'm employed and will attend a conference in the UK but I can't figure out what kind of visa I should be applying for. In the gov.uk website its written I should be applying for a standard visitor visa, but in my application I don't have the option to pick a standard visitor visa.

What appears in my application is type visit and in subtype I have to choose between business tourism or business academic etc .I work in a university. Should I pick business academic?

marked as duplicate by JonathanReez, Gayot Fow uk Jul 1 '16 at 20:22

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • I was told that for conferences, a standard visitor visa is the correct one. If you are applying via a subcontracted 3rd party, can you ask them where the option for the visitor visa is? Otherwise, select 'academic visit' if it's available. – la femme cosmique Jul 1 '16 at 16:01
  • They have not updated the website to sync up with the current rules, so a standard visitor visa does not appear in the drop down lists. As hard as it is to take on board, the drop downs are for rules that don't exist any more. – Gayot Fow Jul 1 '16 at 16:44
  • I think we have a dupe that I even put a bounty on for this Q, but can't search for it right now. – mts Jul 1 '16 at 17:09

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.