I am visiting Illinois for a couple of months with J-1 visa for work and I could use a driver's licence, but I do not have one. I am wondering if I would be eligible to apply for one.

What I have already figured out is that there are three types of licenses: (1) Regular driver license, (2) Temporary visitor driver's license, (3) Non-visa status applicant temporary visitor driver's license. I found that options (2) and (3) require at least 12-month stay in the US, so I am not eligible. But as far as I can find, there do not seem to be limitations in the regular option (1).

Just to clarify, I am a foreign citizen visiting with J-1 visa. I have a US social security number, rental contract, utility bills, US bank account, etc (I have lived in US before). I do not have a driver's licence from any country.

  • Do you have a driving licence in your home country?
    – Berwyn
    Jun 30, 2016 at 0:06
  • Unfortunately not.
    – TomH
    Jun 30, 2016 at 0:07
  • Ok. Perhaps would be useful to edit into your question for clarification.
    – Berwyn
    Jun 30, 2016 at 0:10
  • 1
    If you do not have a license from anywhere, you will almost certainly have to pass the test. Jun 30, 2016 at 0:27
  • @StephanBranczyk as I understand it, RealID compliance requires states to verify immigration status, for which a SSN is insufficient. This implies that either your state is not compliant or the requirements have changed since you last looked at them.
    – phoog
    Jun 30, 2016 at 18:54

3 Answers 3


Technically, you could, but not in every state. From US Immigration and Customs Enforcement website:

Who is eligible for a driver’s license or ID?

Any F, M or J nonimmigrant in lawful status may apply for a driver’s license or ID card, per state or territorial law. The nonimmigrant must present necessary supporting documents required to verify legal presence in the United States. For a list of required documents, see What documentation must a nonimmigrant present to the DMV? [...]


When can a nonimmigrant apply for a driver’s license or ID?

Please be aware of the following timing requirements before applying for a driver’s license or ID:

  • The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record must be in Active status when an F, M or J nonimmigrant applies for a benefit. A nonimmigrant with a record in any other status will not have success applying for a benefit.

  • Wait at least ten calendar days from the date of entry into the United States before applying for a driver’s license or ID to allow time for arrival data processing. [...]

  • Wait at least two federal business days from the activation date in SEVIS to apply for a driver’s license or ID to ensure that the nonimmigrant’s Active status updates in all relevant databases.

  • Several states require that a nonimmigrant have at least six months left on the Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status,” or Form DS-2019, “Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status,” to be eligible for a driver’s license. Either consult with the state or territory’s DMV or visit its website to see if this is a requirement.

In your case it's down to the last point: do you need at least 6 months remaining on your visa in the state where you live?

EDIT: To find out whether you need the 6-months validity on your visa, simply contact your local DMV or call IL Department Of State Driver Services:

  • Springfield: 217-782-6212
  • Chicago: 312-814-2975

Anecdotally, this forum posts alludes that you do need the 6-months validity.

  • Thanks! This confirms what I thought. Unfortunately, it still does not answer my question. Any idea where to find information about specific states, i.e. Illinois in my case? I spent a while browsing Illinois DMV website, but could not find the info.
    – TomH
    Jun 29, 2016 at 22:25
  • @TomH I updated my answer. The simplest thing is to call the DMV - I added Illinois numbers for you.
    – Aleks G
    Jun 30, 2016 at 10:02
  • If the Illinois BMV is anything like the Indiana BMV, you'll have to have a lot of patience on the phone. It will take them a while to figure out something like this.
    – FreeMan
    Jun 30, 2016 at 17:35
  • Thanks! I called to Chicago DMV and they told me that if I already have a SSN, then the 6-month requirement does not apply. I guess I'll give it a try and update the post for future reference later.
    – TomH
    Jun 30, 2016 at 20:18
  • @TomH Great! Certainly update your post with your actual experience.
    – Aleks G
    Jun 30, 2016 at 20:33

For Illinois, nformation regarding driving licences for immigrants with permanent resident status or a nonimmigrant visa is available here. The relevant conditions for your status appear to be:

  • Are an alien lawfully admitted for permanent or temporary residence
  • Have a valid, unexpired nonimmigrant visa or nonimmigrant visa status

To get an Illinois Driver's license you must:

  • Visit a Driver Services Facility, show your identification, and have your photo taken; To find the Driver Services Facility near you, see the Secretary of State Facility Finder;
  • Pass the vision, written, and driving tests;
  • Pay the Fee.

This site also gives relevant information and a list of the documentation that must be provided. Note that two documents proving residency must be provided.

Neither of those sites appear to list a minimum residency period.


You don't need a Driver's license if you're just visiting for a couple months.

An international driver's license will do, and most often your own country's driver's license is all you need to rent a car. The international driver's license is only a translation of your driver's license in a bunch of other languages, and is meant to be presented with the actual license.

  • I know this, but it does not work, as it would require having a driver's licence from some other country.
    – TomH
    Jun 30, 2016 at 0:09
  • well if you don't have a license, that's a different question.
    – MrE
    Jun 30, 2016 at 0:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.