When the UK leaves the EU, I am planning to get an Irish passport. I am not eligible to get an Irish EHIC because I am not a resident of Ireland.

So I am wondering, can I use a UK EHIC with an Irish passport as that would save me the cost of a UK passport in the interim

  • 2
    Why not just use your UK passport with the EHIC (note: EHICs from the UK may or may not be valid after the UK leaves the EU, depending on if the UK negotiations to remain part of the scheme) – CMaster Jun 29 '16 at 8:45
  • My current UK passport is expired, so if article 50 gets invoked before I renew it might be better to just not renew the UK one (especially if I can use the British EHIC with an Irish passport) – ccaskey Jun 29 '16 at 8:55
  • This is a hypothetical question for the time being. It all depends on what is negotiated. – DumbCoder Jun 29 '16 at 8:58
  • @DumbCoder ... The question got silently changed – Marcus Jun 29 '16 at 9:00

No, it does not need to match. I have a UK EHIC card (bound to my insurance as a UK resident) and have a passport of another EU state, that is totally fine and worked well so far. As you can see in the terms of how to apply, you can apply for an EHIC card as a national of the UK, EEA and Switzerland. All what counts is your proof of residency.

(That concerned the first version of the question): However, in case the UK leaves the EU completely and without health insurance agreements between the EU and UK being in place, you need (as a UK resident) to take care of your insurance matters yourself (for getting emergency treatments in EU countries).

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.