I'm considering flying to New York, spending a week and then continuing to Montreal by Train before flying home to Europe.

I've been trying to find out whether Amtrak (the US train operator) records passport info to the CBP (US border agency) so they can establish my departure (airlines do this), without getting any useful answer.

However, I also know, having read it on the CBP Website, that paper I-94W forms (the ones you get when entering by land) can be handed in to CBSA (Canadian border agency) officials, who will pass on the data to the CBP.

My question is: can I similarly hand in a printout of the electronic I94 record (what you receive when entering the US by air) to CBSA officials, or do they only "accept" the old paper version?

If all else Fails, the last Resort is sending my Train ticket, passport copy with Canadian entry stamp, and electronic I94 printout along with an explanation letter to a dedicated address in Ohio. However, I'd really prefer it if there's any other means, either Amtrak passing on my data to the CBP, or the CBSA taking my electronic I94 printout and passing it on.

  • 3
    You can request a paper I-94 form on arrival for this express purpose if you enter at an airport, though you should expect this to add perhaps 15 minutes or so to your time at immigration. Jun 26, 2016 at 1:46
  • I see, that's nice! Do you happen to know, though, if CBSA officers would accept the electronic I94 (a printout Looks like this dropbox.com/s/ilnnmw2u2lhobmz/IMG_20160626_0001.pdf?dl=0)?
    – Crazydre
    Jun 26, 2016 at 2:17
  • 1
    @Crazydre I suggest removing that link and posting a new one with your passport number and maybe form registration number obscured.
    – Urbana
    Jun 26, 2016 at 3:17
  • 2
    Possible duplicate of How to end form I-94 now that it is only electronic?
    – JonathanReez
    Jun 26, 2016 at 8:29
  • 1
    @CrazydreThanks -- we now know your birthday is one of two dates and we have a great idea what your passport number is. You should just obliterate sensitive information; certainly don't change it in small ways and then announce that you did that. Jun 26, 2016 at 9:32

2 Answers 2


Just called the border guards at Lacolle (Canadian port of entry used by the New York-Montreal Train) and they said it's fine to hand in a printout of an electronic I94 :)

  • 3
    But do they do anything with it?
    – CMaster
    Jun 27, 2016 at 13:39
  • 1
    CBP says on their Website you can Hand in the paper version to CBSA, which means they'll send the info (why would the CBP otherwise suggest this?) I said that to the CBSA Agent and asked if the electronic form was acceptable for the same purpose, to which he answered yes...I guess if I take this route (air entry, Train Exit), I'll print two electronic I94 copies, Hand in one to the CBSA, and if the record isn't updated a week later (which I can check), I'll post the other copy along with all evidence of departure to the Ohio address
    – Crazydre
    Jun 27, 2016 at 14:01

I've tried it out myself a few weeks back and the answer is yes, they do accept the print-outs from the DHS website. In fact, your exit will be recorded even if you don't hand in your I-94 as Canada and the US share entry-and-exit information these days.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .