I agreed with some friends that they can borrow my camping van for a short roadtrip in Europe. I'm currently thinking about what should be done before the trip, and here's the list that I came up with. Am I missing something? Is there something superfluous on the list?

  • Agree on the exact conditions (dates, duration, my compensation, etc.)
  • Make sure that car insurance covers third-party drivers
  • Make sure that all necessary papers (insurance card and car registration) are in the car
  • An informal document signed by me that states that they are allowed to drive my car
  • 2
    Agree on how they hand back the van, cleaned or paying for getting it cleaned, specially important if a young group or a stag/hen party group. – Willeke Jun 24 '16 at 17:56
  • 3
    We might see things differently, but if i am lending my van to a "friend", i would not make such rules. either you trust the "friend" and lend it, or not trust the friend and not lend it.. easier this way.. – Nean Der Thal Jun 24 '16 at 20:24
  • 2
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it's not abut travel. – JonathanReez Jun 24 '16 at 22:08
  • 1
    I do think this is travel-related, especially when being on the other end (i.e. the friends) and voting to leave open. – mts Jun 25 '16 at 8:57
  • 2
    This is definitely travel related, because depending on the country the van is registered in I think you might require official documents stating that someone else than the owner is allowed to drive it over the border, – CompuChip Aug 15 '16 at 8:19

Have your friends got European breakdown cover? Hopefully they won't need it! It may be prudent to go to your favourite mechanic beforehand for a quick check-up, as friends of mine spent 10 hours on the side of the road after their van broke down, and all they needed was a new fuel filter which cost a few euros.

Have you showed them around your van - all the nooks and crannies, how to do xy and z that maybe comes easily to you, but they might not know.. Shown them the particular way you change your oil, add water to the radiator and where your spare tyre is?

If you have any, you could give them those light reflectors that go on the headlamps. There's also a checklist here from the AA: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/compulsory_equipment.pdf Of course the majority of these things are up to them to provide but at least you will have thought of everything from your side and reminded them of things they might still need to organise.

Additional information - An online list of advice for first time trip in a Camper around Europe gives some important information here that you may need to pass on to the driver and any passengers: http://www.campervanlife.com/locations/europe/1st-timer-tips

Road laws vary between each country, and some require you to carry equipment you might not already have. Under French law, vehicles must carry one reflective jacket for the driver, although many French families store one for each passenger in case there is a breakdown and they have to wait beside the car.

If you breakdown, or are stopped by the police, put the jacket on, or else you may find yourself with a fine In Spain you require a jacket for each person. In France, Spain and Germany you are required to carry a red warning triangle. Should you breakdown the triangle must be erected 30 meters behind the car. In Spain you require 2 red warning triangles per car. In Spain you are also required to carry a set of spare lamps/bulbs for your car and the tools to change them

Here's a quick kit list:

- First aid kit
- Fire extinguisher
- Warning triangle

- Warning triangle
- Reflective jacket

- Warning triangle
- Reflective jacket
- Headlamp adjustment

- Warning triangle x 2
- Spare bulbs
- Headlamp adjustment
- Reflective jacket

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.