I have Indian passport with a dependant visa. My husband has recently received a British passport and my baby is British by birth. We are planning to go to Paris.

Do I need a visa and if yes, what is the procedure and what documents do we need to provide?


It depends on your status in the UK, as per the French embassy:

If you do not hold a UK resident permit with the mention “Family Member of an EEA national” or “permanent residence card”, you must hold a Schengen Visa to travel to the Schengen area and evidence that you are exercising your right of free movement as the family member of an EU National. You must therefore provide with your application form the following documents:

  • Proof of family link between the visa applicant and the EU / EEA/ or Swiss national: civil document duly legalized/ apostilled by the competent authorities of the issuing country,

  • Proof of nationality of the EU/ EEA/ or Swiss national,

  • Tickets of the EU/ EEA/ or Swiss national

Family members of EU Nationals are exempted from the visa processing fees – but not from TLS service charge.

  • On my visa card it has written PBS DEPENDANT LEAVE TO REMAIN bcoz when i got a visa that time my husband was on ILR bt nw he has got British passport so i m nt sure whether i can apply as a spouse of EU or nt, plus is it compulsory to buy the tickets before visa has been granted? Thanks – Monika Jun 25 '16 at 9:19
  • I think you should change your status since your husband is now a UK citizen; I am not sure if staying there with your current status is valid anymore. – Burhan Khalid Jun 25 '16 at 13:23

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.