Is it possible for me to fly from France to the UK with just an ID card ? If this is possible which airlines will allow you to fly with just an ID card ?

  • 3
    Do you mean your official EU ID card, which will be accepted instead of a passport for most journeys within Europe? If so, yes. But if you mean 'any ID like a driving license' not without a lot of trouble. This is a duplicate question, it has been asked before.
    – Willeke
    Jun 21, 2016 at 16:34
  • Is there such a thing as an "EU ID card"?
    – fkraiem
    Jun 21, 2016 at 16:37
  • 1
    It is the national ID card which follows the EU standard and is often called EU ID card. The UK among others does not have it, France has it.
    – Willeke
    Jun 21, 2016 at 16:39
  • 7
    What is your nationality?
    – mts
    Jun 21, 2016 at 16:41
  • 1
    @blackbird57 While I agree that there are similar issues implicated in the proposed duplicate, the particulars of the question are somewhat different.
    – phoog
    Jun 21, 2016 at 19:39

1 Answer 1


If you are from a country whose citizens can enter the UK with a national ID card in lieu of a passport, then yes, you can fly to the UK with your national ID card and no passport. Those countries are the countries of the EU and the EEA, plus Switzerland. https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/before-you-leave-for-the-uk.

Note that the "ID card" here is a national ID card that must indicate your nationality. A driver's license or other form of ID does not meet the requirement.

If you are flying to the UK with a national ID card, all airlines will allow you to board with that ID card.

If you are a national of another country, you cannot enter the UK without a passport. (Depending on your nationality and the purpose of your trip, you may also require a visa.)

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .